Sunday, March 29, 2015

To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate...

I've seen the vaccine debate go on forEVER and I have to say... I'm getting really tired of it. The problem isn't that people have opposing viewpoints. The problem is all the ad hominem attacks and the claims by people who aren't experts that they know better than those who are. Parents should do what they believe is best for their children, but they shouldn't try to make everyone else do the same. For example, my sister had a horrible reaction to the hepatitis B vaccine, so I didn't receive it until I was putting in my mission papers. Irresponsible? Certainly not. Granted, I turned out not to have a problem, but this is an example of a parent using their better judgment. This is not:

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
I happen to think that vaccinations are very important (look at the measles outbreaks and smallpox is coming back!!), but what gets me the most is that people are willing to accept people with no ethos on a topic as important as this without doing their own research or making a decision based on their unique circumstances, not the facts. Like I said, my family had some exceptions and that's totally fine. But what you don't know CAN hurt you.


No comments:

Post a Comment