Sunday, March 8, 2015

So I got married yesterday...

...and I have to say, it was nothing like I had been led to believe by my friends, parents, and especially the media. It was so much better. My mom was convinced I was going to make myself sick on my honeymoon with stress as she did, and her sister, and her friend, and many other people she knew. My friends thought it would be scary and completely different. According to every wedding-themed movie on the planet, there should be large city-crushing monsters in the forms of my mother-in-law and bridesmaids ruining everything in sight. Every magazine and advertisement on the side of my Facebook news feed informed me that if I wasn't wearing a designer dress and didn't have a full bouquet on every table with pinterest-perfect centerpieces and cake, my wedding would be shameful or not good enough or in some way regrettable.

That is not what happened.


Yesterday was the best day of my life.

My mother-in-law is one of the coolest people on the planet.

I wasn't stressed.

(Well, maybe once or twice)


But mostly, I just laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed more than I can ever remember! The spirit was strong. I spent the day with my favorite person in the world, surrounded by some of my other favorite people in the world. Nothing was scary afterwards. Our reception was THE FUNNEST time I've had in I don't even know how long! I almost didn't want to leave! And I felt completely at peace.

 

When we walked out of the temple nothing felt different. It was still just us. I guess it's a good thing I like us :).

The point is, weddings don't have to be headaches. They don't have to be stressful. They can be special and fun and everything you've ever dreamed of. The media has a habit of turning some of the most beautiful and wonderful things in life into total caricatures that don't represent the truth at all.

I love my husband. (Ooo!! I just called him my husband! :D)

I love my life.

And... I got married  yesterday! What am I even doing on this computer? Ha!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my Goodness!! Love the pics! So glad you are married. :) Being married is the best! Whoot whoot! I am so happy for you. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and a newly wed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also you guys are absolutely adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! I totally love the pictures. Nice to know that a wedding doesn't have to be a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! I totally agree that tv shows and Pinterest have raised expectations so high for weddings. I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete