Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Apartment Downstairs

 
There is a couple that lives in the apartment below me. I can only assume that the people in this apartment really love The Office, because the theme song shakes the floor of our living room every afternoon and evening at thirty minutes intervals. The first time I thought it was funny, but the more it happened, the more irritated I became (after all, who blasts The Office of all things loud enough to vibrate the floor), but then I realized something. I am SO blessed that Daniel isn't the kind of person who comes home, plops himself on the couch, and disappears into a TV show all evening. He pays attention to me and works hard and runs downstairs to switch the laundry from the washer to the dryer just so I don't have to. I've never been a TV person, but Daniel has his shows that he enjoys--still though, he makes sure to be respectful to me about it and always first tells me he is available to talk any time I need and then lets me know he's going to watch a show for a few minutes to unwind. Shows can be such a black hole for time, and by extension a huge liability in a relationship if not kept in their proper place.

Of course, there is a place for TV within a relationship. Following a show with your husband or boyfriend (or even roommates!) can bring you together, provide a break from life, and be just dang fun. TV can be great that way. But when it is a constant presence, I have my doubts as to its benefits on anyone's life. To the couple in the apartment downstairs, I hope you enjoy your show together sometimes and I don't mind that it shakes the floor. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm looking forward to the end of the season ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment