Sunday, February 1, 2015

Internet--Good or Bad?

I have a feeling that if I were to poll BYU for opinions on the internet I would get a consensus that it's pretty terrible. There certainly is a lot of destructive content that has been made easily accessible. I was on the phone with my mom this morning and she happened to mention that she had copied some of our messages to each other on Facebook--as a journal of sorts--and they totaled 73 pages. It struck me as how remarkable it is that we can even communicate that way, and so instantaneously, from the complete opposite side of the country.


On Friday night I was on my tablet while my fiancé was doing homework, and I ended up on the Church's family search site, looking at the pictures and information I had inputted and copying some for a history book I got for Christmas. I happened to click on the 'reserved' tab, with a list of all the family ordinances I had reserved for my family to do. Spur of the moment decision, I 'shared' one of my Hungarian great grandmothers' names with my sister, and received the following day this text message:

"Thanks for sending that name to me! I keep thinking I should follow up on those emails from family search, but I still haven't done it. But now I've done a baptism for a family name for the first time!"

Turns out I sent it the day of a temple trip for her singles ward in Texas.

Basically, I can't believe the internet is bad. It all depends on how we use it! I don't mean to say that we need to be constantly listening to General Conference to make our internet time worthwhile, but there's a lot of good we can accomplish there. Let's do it right :).

2 comments:

  1. I agree! The internet is neither good or bad. It all depends on how we choose to use it. There is so much bad that can be done, but also so much good. I love using the internet to keep in touch with my family and to do family history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord warned us that there is opposition in all things. This is a good example.

    ReplyDelete